Programs: Barber Program Admission Requirements:
- 1. All applicants must be at least 17 years of age.
- 2. All applicants must be interviewed by a school official, and given a tour of the facility.
- 3. All applicants must have a 10th grade level of education, Diploma or GED.
- 4. A $15 registration fee by money order or cashier’s check made payable to the NM Board of Barbers and Cosmetologists is required.
The Barbering Program requires 1200 clock hours of training and takes approximately 31 weeks to complete.
Barber Program Outline:
- Chemical Rearranging-Perms and Relaxers
- Shampoo and Scalp Treatments
- Hair Coloring – Bleaching
- Hair Cutting & Beard Trimming
- Sterilization, Sanitation, Bacteriology
- Salon Business
- Retail Sales
At “A Better U” our staff is committed to the student. The focus and support we provide allows all students to understand and master the training program. Upon successful completion of the Barber program, students will be eligible to take the New Mexico State Board examination. After passing the state board examination, students will receive a diploma and be qualified to assume a position in the Barbering Industry.